Sunday 1 June 2014

My Haircare



I thought I'd go thru my current haircare products and routine. I'm always changing up the products as I've not really come across any 'Holy Grail' hair product, so this is what I am currently using and doing.

My hair goes half way down my back and is a wavy texture. I wouldn't say its very thick but there is a lot of it! I try and get trims every 3 months usually. I don't have any layers as they don't sit well so usually i just get the ends trimmed (I tell the hairdresser to take what is needed off depending on damage) and then shaping around the face. They often thin it out in the mid lengths in the back too. I haven't had a colour since last December when I got some balayage highlights put in. The colour at my roots is my natural colour. This colour choice suits me as its very very low maintenance. But finding the right hairdresser was the challenge. For awhile I was rocking an almost 'dip dye' look which was not cool in my opinion, especially since I had shown photos at my appointment of natural bayalage highlights. But that is a whole other story on my issues with hairdressers! 

I'm not very skilled with hair and rely hugely on my GHD hair straightener. So of course I need to make sure I'm using some products that will protect and try and repair the damage heat has done. Here are some of the products and tools I use.

Aussie Shampoo and Conditioner and Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Treatment.

Starting with in the shower, I like to alternate between products as my hair tends to become lifeless and lanky after constantly using one product. At the moment I'm alternating washes with Aussie and Professional Sebastian Hydre products. Sebastian is not that impressive but it does the job. I love John Freida (in the red bottles) so think I'll be repurchasing that when these run out. Aussie is my all time favourite. I have the Frizz brand as shown in the photo which I haven't started with just yet but am currently using the 'Smooth' and before that 'Moisture' Miracle shampoo and conditioners. Moisture was by far my favourite, it smells divine! 

Sebastian Hydre Shampoo and Conditioner

My hair has a 'balayage' 'ombré' effect going on so every so often I use a purple shampoo on the ends  just to keep the lightened ends a little fresh. I definitely prefer to use Fudge Violet Toning Shampoo.

Fudge Violet Toning Shampoo

I also use a clarifying shampoo when I feel my hair is needing it. Its great if you feel your hair has any build up. I don't have a real favourite but am currently using Joico K-Pak Clarifying Shampoo.

Joico K-Pak Clarifying Shampoo

My hair can get super dry so I really like an intensive conditioner and alternate with a few great deep conditioners. One is the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle as seen in a previous picture. Otherwise I go really intensive with Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque or my recent find Hask Keratin Protein masque.

Hask Keratin Protein Masque and Macadamia Deep Repair Masque

Another great and affordable alternative is Coconut Oil. Smothering your dry hair in coconut oil and wrapping cling wrap is a great way to treat your hair. It promotes growth from what I hear and will leave your hair so smooth. If you can handle it apply before bed onto dry hair and sleep with it on. I personally don't like to but will try and keep it on for a few hours if I'm in for the evening.

Coconut Oil

With any deep conditioner I comb it thru with a wide tooth comb I keep in the shower

Wide tooth comb

When I've completed all this I will wrap my hair in a towel to absorb as much water as possible. I never use a blow dryer. I tend to always wash my hair at night and let it dry naturally. I also sleep with it in a plait. Recently (the last 6 months) I've been using a microfibres towel to dry my hair. It's made a huge difference as I use to rub my hair dry with a normal towel. Which if course causes damage. 

Turbie Twist Hair Towels

So I'll usually hang out with my hair in a turban for a half hour or so. Once I take it off my hair isn't dry but is no longer dripping. I then add some hair oil.

Moroccan Oil and Hask Oil

I love Moroccan Oil but as it's super expensive I went on a search for a cheaper alternative. Hask Oil is just as good and these small tubes last months! I buy mine from Farmers, it's only about $5.50!

Tangle Teezer and hair tyes

Once I've applied the oil to my hair, concentrating on the ends I then use my Tangle Teezer to brush my hair. I then plait it and that's me for the night.

In the morning, depending on my plans, I'll either chuck it in a bun or I'll style which means I use my GHD to straighten or curl. From there I'll either wear it down or in a pony tail. I'm not very experimental and have very little time or patience. I'd rather spend time on my makeup!

GHD straightener and a clip.

I love my old GHD. I've had it for about 6 years. I usually section my hair with a clip and do it in 3 layers. 

Of course you need to protect your hair with a heat defense spray. At the moment I'm using either Aussie Miracle Recharge Take The Heat spray or I'll pop some John Freida Full Repair Perfect Ends Sheer Mist on. I have a love/hate for the John Frieda product. It is magical on your ends but the packaging is crap. The spray does not create a sheer mist, it jets out and in no way disperses in your hair. So I tend to spray into my hand and then run my hands thru the mid lengths to the ends. Not ideal but it does the job. The Aussie product also doesn't have an ideal spray but it is a sight better and I don't need to resort to spraying it into my hands! I've used a few different heat protect products but these are by far my favourite.

John Freida Full Repair Perfect Ends Sheer Mist and Aussie Miracle Recharge Spray

I don't tend to put anything in my hair after straightening. I may add a little shine serum but more often then not I won't. 

I like to only wash my hair every 3 days so usually on the 3rd day I'll use a dry shampoo. Batiste is by far my favourite. I really want to try the one for brunettes but it isn't in any shops in my area! The only other thing I haven't mentioned is my favourite brush. Its just your typical paddle brush, makes gathering long hair up easy! 

Batiste Dry Shampoo, Tangle Teezer and a paddle brush.
Thats about it! Not much skill and (in my opinion) minimal products! 


I hope your having a great day! 
Cat

























No comments:

Post a Comment