Thursday 12 June 2014

Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation Review

I've not done a review on a foundation before but wanted to talk about one of my all time favourites Illamasqua Skin Base. I have shade SB08 and SB07.

Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation in SB08

Based on a BB cream but with a foundation coverage this gives me a medium coverage when built up. It gives my skin a smooth complexion, and never looks cakey. My skin always feels hydrated.  I like to buff it in with a kabuki brush. It lasts well through out the day especially when set with a powder. I have normal combo skin (can get dry in winter, oily on my T in summer) and find it works in both winter and summer for me. I always use a primer and have found this works with a variation of primers. 

The packaging is plastic and I like the small nossel but I don't like that the writing on the front can fade after time. My lighter shade has lost most of its writing. The formula is a creamy consistency and blends really easily. One layer gives a light coverage and evens your skin tone. A second layer covers a bit more but I can still see my freckles which I'm ok with as I never have them completely covered (I'm not a fan of high coverage on myself). I can build up coverage in certain areas without it caking up though if thats what I want to achieve.

Illamasqua Skin Base SB08

Illamasqua Skin Base left: SB08 right: SB07
I brought mine direct from Illamasqua which is based in the UK I believe. They ship worldwide. It is priced fairly high (£32 which for kiwi currency I'd roughly double that so say $64 aprox) but it is a very nice quality foundation so worth it to me. They have a great colour chart which compares their shades to other popular foundations like MAC, YSL etc. I brought mine in a web exclusive pack 'The Ultimate Skin Trinity' (£70) which has a primer and concealer as well. I don't rate the concealer much but have just started using the primer and am loving it! It's their Hydra Veil primer.

Left obviously no makeup. Right is with foundation, no powder has been applied just a small amount of under eye concealer. 
As you can see from the photos it doesn't cover everything but evens out my skin tone and leaves a somewhat dewy look. I would count this foundation as one of my all time favourites. I'm not a fan of many foundations as I've always found them hard to colour match and I hate the look some can have on my skin, so finding this one with such a natural finish is great!

I hope you are all having a great day :)
Cat

2 comments:

  1. I've been so wanting to try Illamasqua products -- have heard so much about them! I was in Sydney about three years ago and came across a counter, but was in a rush and didn't know much about the brand so was a bit overwhelmed. Their nail polishes look awesome as well, and the colour choices in general across the brand is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that it looks really nice on you. Evens out the skin but doesn't look heavy!

    ReplyDelete