Saturday 24 May 2014

How I Clean My Makeup Brushes

I despise dirty makeup brushes! Unless it's my blush brush or powder brush I don't reuse them. Depending on how much makeup I've worn in a week I usually do a deep cleanse wash weekly to fortnightly. I keep it really really basic using only baby shampoo and warm water.


I'm not brand specific with the shampoo. I've had no issues with my brushes so consider this a suitable way to wash them! 


I start by pouring shampoo into a dish.



I then wet the bristles with warm water.


I then dip the bristles in the shampoo.


I then work the bristles into my palm and rubbing along my fingers to really work into the bristles.

I then rinse in warm water till the shampoo is gone. I squeeze any excess water out.

Don't let water go higher then where my thumb is.
Whenever cleaning brushes never let water go higher then the steel part. If it does water can get into the brush and destroy the glue causing the bristles to fall out. 


I dry my brushes dancing down onto a towel. The eye brushes I lie down on an angle. If I was to lean them against the wall the shape gets distorted. Usually these dry in a few hours. I remove them as soon as possible as I don't want them resting on a damp towel as this could cause mildew and bacteria. Ideally a windowsill could be used where the bristles can airdry. Unfortunately I don't have a suitable windowsill :( 

So this is probably very basic knowledge and technique for most but I thought I'd share the way I deal with this tedious job. The quicker the better in my opinion and baby shampoo is so easily accessible and affordable. If you felt your brushes needed some conditioning (I haven't personally needed to do this) you could use olive oil or something like that. I have a range of brands, Sigma, Sedona Lace and Real Techniques and this method has caused no harm. 

I hope you are all having a great day :)
Cat 










No comments:

Post a Comment