Thursday 15 May 2014

My Skincare Routine

Au Natural! 
I thought I'd change it up and talk a little about my skincare. I spend a lot of my time makeup free and am very strict on my routine. I am 30 years old and I have normal skin that tends to be more on the dry side in the colder months, so taking all this into account I buy different types of products depending on the season. The majority of my routine is at night before I go to bed. At the moment it is coming into the colder months but I'm still using most of my summer products. I'm currently researching new products but as of right now this is my routine.

Night:

I always shower at night, I may also shower in the morning but without fail I will go to bed freshly showered. So because of this I'm guaranteed to never go to bed with makeup on and my skin is always clean. My belief is that if you go to bed with cleansed and moisturised skin it gives your skin it's time to regenerate while you sleep. 

I start by removing my eye makeup with coconut oil and cotton wool.

Cotton wool balls and Coconut Oil

I keep my coconut oil in a jar on my bathroom counter. I warm a small amount in my palm and gently rub it over my eye area. It melts all the liner and mascara which I then wipe away with the cotton wool. It is so gentle and is also great for your lashes. I also use a bit of oil on my lashes later on with my eye cream to help keep my lashes strong. This oil also makes removing waterproof mascara easy. I'll never buy makeup remover again. 

I then jump in the shower where I cleanse my face.

Michael Todd Honey & Oat Gentle Deep Pore Cleanser

I use Michael Todd Honey And Oat Gentle Deep Pore Cleanser. It is by far the best cleanser I have ever used. I have repurchased this 4 times and have been using this for over a year now. For me it gives a perfect cleanse without stripping my skin. One pump is the perfect amount and it's gel consistency semi foams on my skin. If I have worn heavy makeup I will double cleanse. This contains no sulfates and its super gentle around the eye area too. It does smell like honey which I personally enjoy.

Once out of the shower I continue my routine with a toner.

Michael Todd Cranberry Antiox Toner

Currently I'm using Michael Todd Cranberry Antiox Hydrating Anti Aging Toner. It's a nice toner that helps keep my skin balanced. This is probably my favourite toner I have ever used. But in saying that its one step that I often miss if i'm feeling lazy!

Next I use an eye cream.

Moreish Eye Cream

Currently I'm using Moreish Eye Cream. I really like this one, it makes my eye area feel firmer and very hydrated. I do despise packaging like this though, I never know how much product I have! The pump is ok though and doesn't pump too much out. As mentioned sometimes I will use a little coconut oil on my lashes as well. 

If I've been dealing with any spots and pigmentation I've been using: 

Kiehl's Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution

Kiehl's Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution. It's severely overpriced and other then a slightly clearer complexion I wouldn't recommend it personally. It may work for some but I expected more from it for the price.

Next I hydrate.

The Jojoba Company's Jojoba Oil

The Jojoba Company's Jojoba Oil is great for your skin, nails and hair, its super hydrating and sinks in beautifully. I use this on my throat and decolletage area mainly.

Moreish Night Cream

Moreish Night Cream is what I'm using at the moment. But I am on the look out for a new one as this one is a little too heavy for my liking. I originally tried a sample of this and liked it but this new one is different somehow... have you ever had that before??

If I have a spot this is what I am currently using:

The Body Shop Tea Tree Blemish Gel

I've been using The Body Shop Tea Tree Blemish Gel. While not a quick fix this reduces the time any spots hang around. It dries them out while not upsetting the skin. 

So this is what I do on an average night but twice a week I will do something slightly different. After cleansing in the shower I will then add this extra step:

Michael Todd Tropical Fruit Scrub, Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Scrub and the Olay Cleansing Brush.

Twice a week I've been using the Olay Cleansing Brush with either my Michael Todd Tropical Scrub or the Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub. I prefer the Tropical Scrub but it's running low so have been working in the Jojoba Scrub instead. The Jojoba is annoying as it stains the brush (but washes off with baby shampoo). This brush is seriously good and I love using it. My skin has improved a lot with it and I look forward to my twice a week scrub! While these scrubs appear more heavy duty then the product that actually came with the cleansing brush I have found them to be more effective and not too harsh at all. I personally didn't like the product that came with the brush.

Another few things I work into my routine depending on necessity are

Lush Mint Julips Lip Scrub

Lush Lip Scrub in Mint Julips. This is a sugar scrub that is great at exfoliating your lips. 

And of course afterwards I'll need a balm 

Blistex Lip Conditioning Balm and Nivea Lip Butter Vanilla & Macadamia 

Either Blistex or Nivea Lip Butter does the job. This is the very last thing I put on before bed. I'm not loyal to any balm, I do prefer a scented one but the main thing is that it hydrates!

I also do masks but am currently on a mad search for one. I've been using up my samples and don't have an actual staple product at the moment. 

Morning 

Because of the care I take at night, and the fact I can get dry skin I don't use a cleanser in the morning. I know a lot wouldn't think this not wise but my skin only needs a good splash of water in the morning. I usually get up, have a coffee then brush my teeth and splash my face. 

I then apply a day cream. 

L'Oreal Youth Code Day Cream with SPF 30

I have been using L'oreal Youth Code which has a SPF 30. I like this product but it's nothing flash. It merely does the job and doesn't break me out! The SPF and its easy accessibility is what I really like. On my no makeup days I will reapply this throughout the day if need be so I don't want to be going through something super expensive. 

If I'm outside a lot extra sunscreen is a must.

Oasis Sun SPF 30 Healthy Face & Body Sunscreen

Oasis Sun SPF30 was recommended to me and it's a lovely non greasy sunscreen. It works well with my makeup and doesn't cause any dramas on my skin. 

And of course skincare isn't just for the face, you should care for all your skin. So I use the following products every week.

Body care products.

I use St Ives Coconut Milk & Orchid Extract body moisturiser daily all over. It absorbs quickly and smells awesome! Every week I will use Frank coffee scrub. This product is amazing!! See my review. I also smother my hands nightly with hand cream. I am currently using The Body Shops Hemp Cream and O.P.I Avojuice. If my skin isn't feeling flash even after this I will use coconut oil, it takes longer to absorb but it leaves my skin lovely. I'll also use the oil on my nails. It's great for your cuticles. I also spritz The Body Shop Vanilla Body Mist afterwards to finish it all off. 

With winter coming I occasionally like to fake tan. It's not something I do often as I'm a bit lazy but this is what I use when I want a full tan.  

Million Dollar Tan

My favourite is Million Dollar Tan. I don't recommend the scrub as Frank is so much better but the spray tan is awesome. I'm not the best at applying but I've not had any problems with this product which amazes me! 

I do really like gradual tan products but as of right now I don't have one in my routine. 

I hope this wasn't too long! I feel it's a simple routine but my skin really does thrive off routine. I also haven't mentioned any facial wipes in here as I do not use them as part of my 'skincare' regime. The only place I have for them is to remove a lipstick or to freshen up on a hot day. And generally I like either Swissper Spa towelettes (Mango or Pomegranate scented) or baby wipes!

I hope you are all having a great day :)
Cat
















1 comment:

  1. I've been using the Olay brush too -- I agree, the cleanser that came with it is too drying, even on my oily skin.

    I'm almost out of my Body Shop Moringa body mist -- it's so good!

    ReplyDelete